We are looking to expand our team by adding a Senior Legal Counsel or Legal Counsel who will be responsible for the unique considerations, risks and compliance mandates applicable to our Russian business, including matters of employment law, corporate law, sanctions, anti-bribery and anti-corruption compliance, IP and IT law, data protection, and brand protection.
Are you an experienced lawyer or attorney or in-house legal counsel, agile multi-tasker and a reliable team player?
What you’ll be responsible for
Corporate & Compliance
- Trusted legal advisor on legal and compliance matters relating to the company’s Russian business - in particular to stakeholders in People & Culture, Communications, Information Security, IT, Finance, Audit, Operations, Support, Technology and Product teams
- Responsible for corporate housekeeping such as notarizations, powers of attorney and other corporate housekeeping
- Collaborate and liaise with other departments and external counsel to direct compliance issues for investigation and resolution
- First point of contact for regulatory organizations in Russia
- Preparation and filing of appropriate compliance reports with regulatory agencies
- Representation of the company in administrative offence cases, in ordinary and arbitration courts, and in regulatory audits
- Crisis and compliance management
- Work on ad hoc projects as assigned
Policies and processes
- Ensuring and verifying that all regulatory policies and procedures have been documented, implemented, and communicated
- Set-up communication / training materials on relevant policies.
- Provide hands-on legal and compliance support for day-to-day operations in Russia
- Stay current on Russian laws and regulations relevant to the business
- Identify and manage legal risks and implications of Russian operations and policies
What you’ll be bringing to the team
- Law degree required
- International in-house or private practice experience; Working experience at a listed company is a plus
- 5+ years of relevant experience working for or advising Russian-based companies from outside of Russia
- Experience with Legal Compliance (corporate, employment, sanctions, anti-bribery and anti-corruption, privacy); risk management experience
- Experience drafting, reviewing and negotiating contracts, terms and conditions
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and in Russian are a must; any other language is a plus
- Technologically proficient
Who you are
- You demonstrate a high standard of professional ethics and integrity
- Excellent interpersonal skills which enable effective work with a variety of stakeholders, including internal and external audit on compliance matters
- Deliberate and detail-oriented
- Able to manage a large range of files simultaneously in a fast-paced environment
- Capable of working independently and with minimal supervision
- You are an analytical thinker and a pragmatic problem solver
- You can handle a high volume of assignments
- You are motivated by new experiences and delivering a high level of service to your stakeholders
- You are strong at bridging cultural differences
- You want to exchange ideas effectively and be a good teammate - we work as a team!
- You are curious and willing to improve
- You are a highly motivated, business-oriented and enthusiastic legal professional
- You translate legal advice to the language of the business.
- You have a positive mindset: you do not see problems, only solutions to the challenges with which you are faced
- You are results-driven with attention to detail and willing to go the extra mile to deliver top-class legal advice
What’s in it for you
- This is your chance to play a key role in continuing to build and scale the legal function for a global, fast growing company
- Amazing benefits & perks, including equity for all Lightspeeders and a dynamic environment
- Opportunity to learn, expand your skill set, forge wonderful relationships and make your mark within the diverse and inclusive Lightspeed family
- Supportive colleagues, strong culture of collaboration cross-functionally, cool tech law problems to solve on a daily basis
- Remote work options and flexibility
To all recruitment agencies: Lightspeed does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. If we have not directly engaged your company in writing to supply candidates for a specific vacancy, Lightspeed will not be responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Where to from here?
Obviously, this has to be mutually beneficial: we want you to step into a role you love, and we want to offer you a place you’re proud to come to every day. For a glimpse into our world check out our career page here.
Lightspeed is building communities through commerce, and we need people from all backgrounds and lived experiences to do that. We were founded in 2005, in Montreal’s gay village and our original members were all part of the LGBTQ+ community. The ethos of our business has been about inclusion from the very beginning, and we strive to provide a workplace where everyone belongs.
Who we are:
Lightspeed (TSX/NYSE: LSPD) powers the businesses that are the backbone of the global economy.
Our one-stop commerce platform transforms and unifies digital and physical operations by enabling multichannel sales, expansion to new locations, global payments, financial solutions and connection to supplier networks. With the Lightspeed commerce platform, merchants in retail and hospitality can build thriving businesses for the future.
Headquartered in Montréal, Canada, Lightspeed is trusted by favourite local businesses, where the community goes to shop and dine in over 100 countries. Lightspeed has offices in Canada, the USA, Europe, Russia and APAC.
We’re passionate about enabling people to do their best work. We dream big and we’re looking for people who do the same. With us, career milestones happen often and we celebrate every one. Come work with us and find out where your career will take you at Lightspeed!