Lightspeed is seeking a Legal Counsel on a full-time basis to serve as a key member of its commercial legal team. The main goal of this role is to draft, review and negotiate commercial contracts for large customers, strategic partners, resellers and suppliers, primarily but not exclusively for Canada and the United States.
You choose where you work. We want you to do the best work of your life - whether you choose to do that working in one of our offices, in a hybrid remote-and-office arrangement, or fully remote.
What you’ll be responsible for
- Serving as a trusted advisor to key stakeholders including the Sales, Marketing, Product, Technology, Support, Finance, and Information Technology teams;
- Developing, drafting, revising, administering, implementing and interpreting the company’s compliance policies, procedures and programs;
- Assisting with litigation management, employment matters, M&A and similar transactions, corporate legal requirements, and other compliance matters, as needed;
- Liaising with regulatory bodies and government authorities as required;
- Managing the company’s insurance portfolio, including policy renewals
- Participating in the legal training of colleagues and stakeholder groups;
- Providing ad hoc analysis and supporting complex, cross-functional and/or multi-jurisdictional projects and special requests from the executive team.
What you’ll be bringing to the team
- 2-5 years of experience in a law firm and/or as in-house counsel
- Experience of broad commercial and corporate transactional gained in a fast-paced, preferably international, environment
- Professional-level proficiency in both French and English languages, including legal writing
- Experience drafting, reviewing and negotiating contracts, terms and conditions
- Strong knowledge of Commercial law, Contract law and working knowledge of Data Protection/Privacy law
- Comfortable communicating with colleagues and stakeholders on different levels and with different professional backgrounds
Who you are
- You are an analytical thinker and a pragmatic problem solver
- You are detail-oriented, autonomous, and able to take initiative
- You can handle a high volume of assignments
- You are motivated by new experiences and delivering a high level of service to your stakeholders
- You demonstrate a high standard of professional ethics and integrity
- You have strong interpersonal skills and you can bridge cultural differences
- You want to exchange ideas effectively and be a good teammate - we work as a team!
- You are curious and willing to improve
- You are eager to tackle all problems
Even better if you have, but not necessary
- Experience working in an international environment, across different jurisdictions and languages;
- Experience working with cloud-based software and payments providers;
- Knowledge of and experience with GDPR, CCPA and other cybersecurity matters;
- Language in addition to English and French (especially Dutch or German);
- Knowledge of and experience with IP, Fiscal (e.g., MEV), and Corporate law.
What’s in it for you
- Amazing benefits & perks, including equity for all Lightspeeders and a dynamic environment
- This is your chance to play a key role in continuing to build out the legal function for one of Montreal’s and Canada’s most exciting companies.
- Opportunity to learn, expand your skill set, forge wonderful relationships and make your mark within the diverse and inclusive Lightspeed family.
- Supportive colleagues, strong culture of collaboration cross-functionally, cool tech law problems to solve on a daily basis.
Who we are
Lightspeed (TSX/NYSE: LSPD) powers small and medium-sized businesses with its cloud-based, omni-channel commerce platforms in over 100 countries around the world. With smart, scalable, and dependable point of sale systems, Lightspeed provides all-in-one solutions that help restaurants and retailers sell across channels, manage operations, engage with consumers, accept payments, and grow their business.
Headquartered in Montréal, Canada, Lightspeed is trusted by favourite local businesses, where the community goes to shop and dine. Lightspeed has offices in Canada, USA, Europe, and Australia.
We're passionate about enabling people to do their best work. Come work with us and find out what you can do!